Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hannah Murray (Cassie in Skins season 1 & 2, and me and the missus's favourite character) talking about on her favourite music:

"I try to listen to a really wide range of stuff. My favourite bands/people are probably The Beatles, Nirvana, Regina Spektor, The Smiths, Tom Waits and The Velvet Underground. I also really like a lot of 70s punk, a lot of folk, The Gerbils, Lethal Bizzle, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sleater Kinney, Rufus Wainwright, Destiny's Child, Johnny Cash, 20s jazz, early Rolling Stones, Nina Simone and M.I.A."

kids today... they're different from my day... they've heard a lot... i don't think at 22, even as a wannabe music journo, someone in training as it were, i'd listened that widely... i couldn't afford to, for starters... it's not just that there's been so many more decades of music since then (22 for me = 1985), it's a whole different mentality i think... all-gates-open... eclecticism not as stance but as base-level condition of existence

which is fine if you're a punter, but how can a musician make music from such a splayed-wide sensibilty?

No comments: