Wednesday, January 26, 2011

big fan of alternative history/counterfactuals as you know, reading Niall Ferguson ed. Virtual History (more on this later) at the moment, in the essay "Hitler's England" (by Andrew Roberts and Nial Ferguson, about what would have happened if an invasion had been mounted) this passage leapt out at me:



my eyes misted momentarily (look, I grew up watching WW2 movies okay, they were on constantly as a child... Churchill speeches can have the same effect)... but I also thought... badger sets? How... small were these British Resistance fighters-in-waiting exactly?

Made me think of Wind in the Willows naturally, and of course Badger, Rat and Mole become a kind of resistance/guerrilla outfit don't they, ousting those bolshy (and Bolshevik-y) weasels who've taken over Toad Hall...

Also, Colonel Gubbins!

No comments: